Friday, October 14, 2005

An Giang.

At first, I didn't quite know what kind of profession these people were exercising. I thought they had to do with fixing the pigs, since they used a similar horn but less noisy. Then I was explained that they were looking for junk to buy. Whatever they were doing, I did like the way the went from door to door in that romantic manner.

The French colonial presence can still be felt here deep in the heart of the Mekong Delta on the river island Gieng (also known as Ven). If I tell you this picture is taken in France, will you believe me?




I came back later to the river island church on Christmas's Eve 2005.










It was late afternoon, two technicians are putting their final touch for the upcoming celebration in the evening.

There are many Nativity displays set up on the church yard like this traditional one.










This display intrigues me. There's a child drawing of a female devil dragging her baby devil away saying 'let's get out of here quick!'. What do you think? To me it might have a socio-political undertone.

This display must be very traditional locally or with this family alone, since I haven't seen any similar display anywhere. If you look closely, you will see a bird in the cage, there are tropical fish swimming in the small rectangle pan, and best of all, there's a newborn goat underneath. I would give this display the top trophy if there is a contest.

Later on, the baby goat was given a chance to cruise with the kids on a hand cart, everybody looks happy including the father who pushes the cart.






This little girl will be performing in the Nativity show traditionally staged just before the Chritmas's Eve mass. With a set of wings attached to her, she will be angel among other angels while the boys will act as shepherds.



I had to talk to the church deacon to have the decorating lights turned on a little earlier so I could catch the end of the day sky background.

For this shot, I switch to the vertical composition to show the church height and its name.










The foreground palm branch is intentional to remind my visitors that this church is situated in a tropical country.

All of the shots of the decorated church would be incomplete, especially at the most celebrated occasion, so here is a long shot with the local people starting to gather for the year's biggest event.

Before I left, I had to take one final and most beautiful look at the legendary church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home